Health and Social Care
"A modern health and social care system has to be completely focussed on the needs of its users"
What is GCSE Health and Social Care
The award gives you the opportunity to develop sector-specific knowledge and
skills in a practical learning environment. The main focus is on three areas, which
· skills and processes, such as interpreting data to assess an individual’s health,
and designing a plan to improve their health and wellbeing
· attitudes, namely the care values that are vitally important in the sector, and
the opportunity to practise applying them
· knowledge that underpins the effective use of skills, processes and attitudes,
including human growth and development, health and social care services, and
factors affecting people’s health and wellbeing.
Who might enjoy this course?
This course is suited to those who are interested in a career in nursing,
midwifery or working with early years or the elderly.
You will develop the ability to analyse and critically evaluate information,
communicate effectively with individuals, groups and organisations and
produce accurate records and make informed decisions.
What about exams? What will I study?
The course consists of three separate components;
1) Human Lifespan Development (2 assignments that are internally
2) Health and Social Care Services and Values (2 assignments that are
3) Health and Wellbeing (1 controlled assessment, externally set and
What could I do next with GCSE Health and Social Care?
If you succeed in Health and Social Care you can progress to a Health and Social
Care Level 3 course or a range of other subjects at 6th Form or College or an
This course can lead to careers in a wide range of roles including Social Work,
Nursery Nurse, Child Minder, Youth Work, Nursing and the Allied Health
professions, Occupational Therapist, Medical technician, Health Care Assistant,
Community Support and Outreach worker.